Saturday, March 28, 2015

Rename Active Directory Domain

How to rename your single active directory domain


sumber :  http://www.rickygao.com/how-to-rename-your-single-active-directory-domain/

Last time I reposted the TrainSingal post [RT]Choosing an Internal Top Level Domain Name, although I didn’t follow the bad behavior by using .local for my own active directory domain, but I was using rickygao.com for my internal lab domain which is not follow the best practice as well.
To practice myself, I decided to rename my domain from rickygao.com to lab.rickygao.com, keep using the same NetBIOS name rickygao, so the user will still using the same login rickygao\username to login, nothing changed from the user side
I’m in a signle domain structure environment, so rename for me is not so complicated, if you have a complicated architect, you should read below article carefully

Administering Active Directory Domain Rename

Managing Active Directory Domain Rename

For a single active directory domain, you can just follow my steps as below to rename your domain
1. Login into a member server in the domain, can be any server, has to be non domain controller, you can find out more details here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc816608%28v=ws.10%29.aspx
Add the “Active Directory Domain Services” role, do NOT configure anything after the role has been added, we just need to get the domain rename tool called “rendom.exe” and “gpfixup.exe”
image
image
2. Create a new DNS Zone for the new domain
image
imageimage
Type in the new domain name, I’m going to use lab.rickygao.com instead rickygao.com for the best practice perspective
imageimage
If you are not sure of above settings, you can right click on the original DNS zone rickygao.com, select properties, and check all of the existing settings.
3. Rename the domain
use the rendom /list to generate the current domain structure
image
image
Edit the file “domainlist.xml’
imageimage
As you can see I’m running in a very simple domain, just use control+H to replace all my rickygao.com to lab.rickygao.com in the “domainlist.xml’, keep the “NetBiodName” the same since I want to use the same login for the user like rickygao\username after the domain renamed.
image
Verify and upload the new domain name
image
Prepare the new domain name
image
Execute the change
image
Now the domain controller will reboot














image
gpfixup /olddns:rickygao.com /newdns:lab.rickygao.com
image
gpfixup /oldnb:rickygao /newnb:rickygao
image
Since I’m keep using the same NetBiod name for the new domain name, so I got the above error which is acceptable for me.
Rename the domain controller itself
netdom computername hyperv1.rickygao.com /add:hyperv1.lab.rickygao.com
image
netdom computername hyperv1.rickygao.com /makeprimary:hyperv1.lab.rickygao.com
image
Reboot the domain controller, unfortunately you will need to do the same thing for all of your domain controller one by one
image
Now the domain controller is ready, it’s time to clean up the domain controller
rendom /clean
image
4. Delete the old domain DNS zone
image
Done, you need to reboot every single member server to get the change take effect.
You may also need to take some additional steps to fix your environment, depends on your environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

have a question, just spill it :D